For far too long, my build of my first Master Grade, Gundam Exia, had remained on hiatus. At the time of the last work-in-progress, I was facing the dilemma of what to do with the colored armor pieces, which were not going so well. The conclusion was that I simply did not have the ability to work with those parts in the way that I want to. I lost a fair amount of motivation and thus Gundam Exia remained boxed up in storage.
A couple years later in 2015, my modeling skills had improved, but more importantly, I met my good friend Blitz-X. Coincidentally, he was also building his own Master Grade Exia, so we thought it would be cool if we both worked on our Exia concurrently. My motivation returned, and the first step was to finish all of the white armor pieces.
The Master Grade Exia’s face is very good looking. I am shocked that I left it incomplete for years, only seeing the head fully assembled now, 5 years after I had started the build. Even if I did put the project on hiatus, I should have at least finished the head.
Here are the pieces of the head parts that I had left out during the hiatus. Coming back to the build, I paid especially more care and attention to the way I panel lined the details.
Front part of the forearms that is necessary to lock in the clear green pieces.
Altogether, the arm ended up like so.
Some time later, I went back and revised a certain section on the arms. On the biceps, there is a visible seam line on the side. I took on the challenge of modifying the seam line into a panel line and then scribing a new line the same distance from the other side. It was quite scary and I almost messed up, but thankfully, both arms turned out good.
The front skirt armor. The thick line was painted with the same inner frame color, then panel lined the edges.
The armor on the knees. I put care into the panel lines here as well.
A couple more pieces of the leg. These parts were partially painted to bring out the details. I am personally quite happy with the results.
Parts around the ankle. If visible, the underside of some pieces were filled in with black to create a sense of depth (in the few angles you see them).
The red parts were painted with Mr.Color #108 Character Red through the help of Blitz-X’s airbrush.
At last, here are the legs of the Master Grade Gundam Exia fully completed. I really like the Master Grade details, which really brings to shape of Exia’s unique form and design.
And with that, this work-in-progress update ends. Next up is finally this build’s greatest challenge and cause of the long hiatus, painting the blue armor pieces in the way I envisioned them. See you then!